Wednesday, January 27, 2010

New veggies

I went to Home Improvement Center on Saturday intending to get a good plastic container to start making my worm composting bin. Turns out, they didn't really have any good ones that had a tight seal. I decided to take a gander at their veggies and see if anything looked worth buying and planting.

I bought a 6 pack of Pak Choi (aka Bok Choy) that looked really healthy and strong. I also got a 4 pack of broccoli. I'm a little worried about the broccoli because even though it looks healthy, everyone else's broccoli is several feet high right now and bearing florets. These dudes are 4 inches high! Oh well...

I decided to put the pak choi and broccoli in rows next to the onions. There is still so much room in the plot, so I'm able to still give each plant a lot of room. Always keeping in mind that I need to make space for the hula hoe to get in between each plant.

Here is a closeup of the pak choi:


And the row from afar:

And my small but mighty broccoli:



And the little row of four:


Before I planted the kale, sugar snap, pak choi and broccoli, I went over the whole plot with a hula hoe. The soil was obviously very moist from the rains and it was easy to work through. There were lots of little weeds sprouting up but they are easy to loosen and pull out with the soil wet.

Lookin' good, Plot 24. Lookin' good.

No comments:

Post a Comment